The Sports Centre
Our new leading edge Sports and Fitness Centre will impact every girl and reinforce our reputation as one of the leading independent girls’ schools for sport in the UK. We are delighted to be ranked 6th in the UK for independent girls' sport and our sights are set even higher. This flexible (and huge) space can house everything from national league standard netball and badminton matches to indoor hockey, to facilitate a wider range of higher quality activities. It’s a clear statement about the importance of sport and promoting healthy and active lifestyles at St Helen’s, demonstrating that it IS possible to achieve Sport for All alongside success in elite competition through varied and contemporary curricular and extra-curricular activities.
The Sports Hall
The new six badminton court sports’ hall is a key facility within the new Sports Centre. Measuring approximately 890 square metres, the hall is equipped for national league standard netball and badminton, indoor hockey, volleyball and basketball. The size of the hall allows for multiple segregated activities to run simultaneously when desired and the state of the art flooring provides the ideal surface on which to play.
The larger indoor space allows greater flexibility both within lessons and extra-curricular activities, and ensure smoother continuity of lessons irrespective of the weather. In addition, viewing galleries on the ground and first floor allow spectators to get closer to the action.
A truly versatile and flexible space for sport.
The Fitness Suite
The 200m2 Fitness Suite is designed to cater for all users: aspirational athletes, elite sports women and those exercising purely for enjoyment.
- Interactive cardio-vascular equipment to motivate and challenge all users. The latest software and apps to engage users and monitor and record individual progress
- Strength and weights equipment tailored to individual needs
- Training frame for group sessions and flexibility in training
- Exercise stations to mimic specific sporting actions
- Stretching and free weights area
The Group Cycle Studio
The Group Cycle Studio is a versatile space and allows for both group exercise classes and other small group activities. The equipment uses the latest software and apps to engage users and monitor and record their individual progress allowing them to work at appropriate and progressive intensities to maximise their exercise experience.
The Ergo Suite
One of the two downstairs studios adjacent to the fitness facility in the new Sports Centre is used as an Ergo Suite.
Following the popularity, expansion and success of both the indoor rowing clubs and outdoor rowing courses over recent years, this facility allows far greater numbers of girls to participate all year round and creates the opportunity for:
- Development of understanding, fitness and technique through training on high tech, modern machines
- The offer of indoor rowing as an option for Year 10, 11 and Sixth Form PE lessons
- Expansion of indoor rowing clubs to larger numbers of girls and a wider age range
- Training for national indoor competitions
- Development of all-round fitness and strength as a platform to develop fundamental rowing technique in preparation for competition both indoors and on the water